Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Work and exhaustion

Wow... the past month has just flown by. I just finished the 4th week at my new job in technical writing. So far so good.

However, since I started at my job I have been absolutely exhausted. I have been so exhausted that I nearly fell asleep in a conversation at work, and I have fallen asleep several times on the metro. A few times I've been so tired that my stomach was churning and I felt nauseous. I'm getting used to the schedule (which involves waking up around 5:30am, and not returning home until 6pm), but my body doesn't adjust like it used to. I feel older. I can't go several days in a row with just 6 hours of sleep. My mind ceases to function normally.

With the new job I don't have as much free time, so I have missed out on some of the things I really enjoy: spending copious amounts of time with people, blogging, listening to sermons, baking, cooking, watching movies.

Here’s a brief summary of my month, by the numbers:
Read 30+ chapters of documentation at work.
RSVPed for 3 weddings, all happening in the next month.
Met and memorized the names of 20 new people.
Hosted 2 travelling friends.
Visited my mom for just under 3 days (68 hours).
Had one delicious steak dinner.
Spent a combined 45 hours in daily commute.
Had 9 encouraging or challenging conversations about spirituality and religion.

I'm praying for energy, and that God will give me love and compassion for those around me. Work is hard, but fun, and I'm really enjoying meeting all the new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment