Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Real stability

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
All other ground is sinking sand.

-chorus from the hymn "Solid Rock" written by Edward Mote (1797-1874)

As we sang this chorus in church today, my mind wandered.  I began to think about the things that I've looked to for stability: my education and the hope of a great career, my parents, my money, my relationships. 
I've been reminded recently that nothing in this life is really, truly stable.  It's all sinking sand. Money, relationships, status, possessions... all of these things, even the ones we think will last forever, could be taken from us at any time. 

I don't think it's wrong to want stability.  But, it is wrong to seek security in these material and temporary things instead of in the living God.  Not only is it wrong, it can be devastating for us if we gain a false sense of security apart from God and then suddenly lose what we thought was secure.

God is the only one who lives beyond (before and after) all of us and all that we see on the earth.  He is the only one who remains when everything in our lives falls apart.  And things will fall apart.  Our world is like that. 

Many times I've felt as if everything in my life was going wrong.  In some of those situations, I thought that money would solve my problems.  If I just had enough money then I wouldn't have to worry about paying my rent next month.  My finances would be stable and that would make me feel secure.  Other times, I thought that a guy in my life was what I needed.  If I were married then I wouldn't feel alone or feel like I have no one to depend on.  If I had a husband, even if the world around me were falling apart, I would have something constant to hold on to.

The only thing that really kept me going was the assurance that God was there.  He was there through all of the trials I've faced.  I was reminded that he cared, and I cried out to him for help.  And he answered.  There were moments, amidst chaos, that I was left with an inexplicable feeling of peace.  And every single time he brought me through the struggle with my heart intact.

Just a reminder to all you single people out there.  Don't hope for a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife that will fill that craving for security and stability.   A spouse may provide a mirage of security, but a spouse doesn't last forever.  People pass away from this world unexpectedly, and more commonly, and ultimately, people disappoint. 

We will be better prepared for marriage if we set our minds on Christ first and foremost, asking him to satisfy us and be our stability, rather than hoping that our spouse will provide that sense of security. Jesus truly is the solid rock on which we can stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment