Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Update (part 2)

So a while ago, I was filling you all in on that big decision that I had to make

Whether to continue looking for jobs in engineering, or take a year "off" and work full-time with Power to Change - Students.

After praying about this decision, I felt released to continue working in my field. For the past few years, I've been passionate about electrical engineering, specifically the area of FPGA design. It has been exciting waiting to see where God would lead me.

I've been working for the last 10 months as a technical writer. I write how-to manuals for smart cameras and frame grabber boards. The products are interesting. I love the people I work with. I wanted to do something more technical, more engineering, though.

So I interviewed for a position in FPGA hardware testing and validation. It sounded awesome. I'd be working with some people that I already know (and like). I'd be working on a mostly francophone team (yikes!) in the same company that I've been at for the past 10 months. The company where I've developed a real ministry amongst my coworkers. This is the place where I've seen God move in people's lives. I didn't want that to end. But at the same time I wanted a job change.

Unfortunately, the interview for the hardware job didn't go well. I was so excited about it... and then it was such a let down. I did poorly on the written test, and didn't feel that I answered the behavioural questions well.

I just found out two days ago that I didn't get the job. It took them forever to make a decision, but finally they hired someone else.

After all that waiting, I'm not feeling that disappointed (thanks God). I mean, after a bad interview, and then a month and a half of waiting, I didn't get my hopes up. I wasn't really expecting to get the job at this point. But I'm still a little sad.

And after all that waiting, while I was waiting to hear back about the job, I didn't feel that God was calling me to campus ministry (with Power to Change - Students). I withdrew my application with P2C. I was sad, but I'm not regretting that decision.

So now I'm still kind of in limbo. My boss extended my technical writing contract for 4 months (yay!). So, for these next few months I'll be seeking God, asking him to direct my steps, and asking him to provide a challenging, fun job where I can (again) share Christ with my coworkers.

1 comment:

  1. It is not in the bible but people often say it-'when God closes a door,somewhere he opens a window' but i think the bible version would be something like this 'i know the plans i have for you...Jer 29 :11' open or closed door.

    ReplyDelete