Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

(Best) Friends

It’s important to not be alone. God even said, "It is not good for the man to be alone." (Gen 2:18)

I’m not saying that we all need to be paired up, each girl with a guy. I’m talking about the fact that it’s not good to be alone, to be lonely, to be without people, to be without friends. God created us to be in community. He didn't intend for us to spend our lives without friends.

That explains why some of us dread being alone. There are days where I really can’t stand the feeling of being alone. In fact, I’m feeling pretty alone right now.


A friend asked me once, “Lindsay, who’s your best friend?” I didn't have an answer for her. And my heart sank. I don’t have a best friend? What's wrong with me?

It's not that I don't have friends. In fact, I am surrounded by plenty of lovely people. I am so thankful that I have these people in my life. However, I think that the friends I have aren't "close" enough.

Maybe I don't have a best friend because I've spent little bits of time with a lot of different people, and not enough time with anyone in particular.

A big part of developing deeper relationships is time. You need to get to know someone, see them in different situations. I've been trying to get to know some of the girls from church. In a few cases I've put in effort, tried to plan things and hang out with people, but they just aren't interested in making time for me.

In several cases I haven't made the time for others. I fill my evenings and weekends with good activities, things that I enjoy: church, dance class, personal time, chores/laundry/cooking/errands, taking care of Teddy. After that, it seems that very little time is left for friends. Even when I have the time, I often excuse myself, saying that I'm too tired to hang out.

Sometimes I don't know how to open up to them. I hate that my relationships are sometimes so surface level. I think I'm afraid to really let people in, for fear of them not liking me for who I really am.

You can probably gather where I'm at from this post, but I'll say it anyway. I've been feeling a bit frustrated/discouraged in the area of friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment