Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Awkward date #1: Physical boundaries

This post is part of a series documenting some seriously awkward dates that I've been on.

Please note that I am not writing this series to mock the guys whom I have dated. These stories are bound to be funny, but I hope you’ll look with me at how God worked through these situations to grow me and teach me about relationships. My prayer is that these nuggets of wisdom wouldn’t go to waste. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had known the guy for about 3 years. We met at a Christian summer camp, where we both worked as counsellors. We weren't close friends, and in fact we had never hung out outside of camp until one particular year.

That year marked the beginning of my university career. I found myself in a new city, in a new academic realm, with totally new friends. As I look back at the ups and downs of that season, I see that God held on to me. My faith in God grew, especially during first semester.

Despite being separated by several provinces, this guy and I began to chat more and more frequently. He was the first Christian guy I had met that was both genuine in his faith and genuinely interested in me.

When I returned to my hometown for Christmas that year, we made plans to hang out.

We decided to see a movie over the holidays. When I arrived at the theatre, I was anxious. I remember thinking, "It's weird to be talking to him in person again... This isn't the same as our interactions at camp. He looks different. How long has it been? I haven't seen him in person since last year!
It seems that we've really gotten to know each other over the past 4 months, and that's only been online. Do I really know this guy?"

Everything was going well, but I just couldn't let myself relax. At one point during the movie, he shuffled in his seat, getting more comfortable. He lifted up the armrest between us, and beckoned me over to his side of our now double-seat. He was suggesting that we cuddle.

I was confused: I liked him, but I wasn't ready to show any kind of physical affection. I was already uncomfortable, and I knew that if I "gave in", it would make things worse. But if I refused, he would surely be embarrassed.

I shook my head "no". He persisted. He asked me to move just a bit closer. At this point I'm sure he observed me awkwardly clinging to the left side of my seat, the side furthest away from him.

We sat in silence with very little interaction until the end of the film. We didn't talk about it. I didn't want to talk it. I was already suffering enough through the awkwardness. When my mom came to pick me up, I said a cold goodbye to him. There was no romantic moment, no hug, no "let's do this again".

Days later, we chatted online about what had happened. He tried to persuade me that I needed to relax and be more physically affectionate, because that's a huge part of getting to know someone.

(Unfortunately this relationship didn't move very far past that conversation. We had such different views on physical boundaries that I don't think it could have worked.)

I know that physical affection can be good, but I am firmly convinced that that area of a relationship needs careful thought and prayer. Both people need to pray about physical boundaries. And this area needs to progress VERY slowly.

Physical affection should not lead either person to sin in their heart, by causing them to lust after what they cannot have until marriage.

What I learned from this awkward date:

1/Christian guys aren’t perfect. All guys desire physical intimacy, and struggle with lust.
I now have a great respect for godly men who are daily walking with the Lord: those men who deny their desires for physical closeness until the right time. This is more than just saving sex for marriage. This is about "fleeing from sexual immorality" (1 Cor 6:18). Bottom line: Don't dabble in something that is going to cause you to sin.

2/It was better that I didn’t give in to what he wanted me to do. I wouldn't have enjoyed cuddling with him. (Although my response made the situation super awkward, it would have been worse.) By standing my ground, I was able to honour God in my heart.

3/Emotional, physical and spiritual areas of a relationship have to grow together. You can't have a physical relationship without the other two components. It just doesn't work.

1 comment:

  1. good for you. that would have been SO strange and weird and uncomfortable but it was loose/loose - if you gave in you'd be uncomfortable and if you stood your ground he'd be embarrassed.... better to make him embarrassed I say! It will teach him to respect women more and reevaluate his physical boundaries policy (which I think is a very good thing...)

    Especially since Christian dating doesn't leave much room for physical "milestones" when you're trying to honour God with your body, why on earth would you want to cuddle and get cozy with someone who a) you're just getting to know and b) aren't even dating. If things did work out you'd have many many months or YEARS of doing the exact same thing until you got married ;)

    ReplyDelete