Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Memorizing Scripture

Last week at my church small group we were discussing how to rely on God when things are difficult.  We agreed that it is so hard to trust God when we face trials in life.  It's hard not to worry, fear, or take the situation completely into our own hands.  When we face trials, we usually get anxious instead of saying, "Ok God, I don't understand this situation and I don't know what to do, but I look to you." 

Side note: I love what king Jehoshaphat said in 2 Chronicles 20:12:
"...For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you."

Some of the women in the group said that reciting scripture helps them, especially when they are afraid. There are some great verses, like in Psalm 23:
"I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me."

This one women, who is in her late 70s, is a great woman of God.  She knows many of the stories in the bible by heart.  As we were sharing she said, "I wish I had memorized more scripture when I was younger. Now it's not so easy. My memory isn't as good as it used to be." 

That just hit me.  She has memorized bus loads of verses, and yet she regrets not memorizing more of the bible.  How often do I take my memory for granted?  I think it's normal that I am able to memorize bible verses, engineering formulas, telephone numbers even.  We never know when we could lose something like our memory. 

We memorize song lyrics, addresses, websites, sports stats... but how often do we really use this great gift of memory to remember something truly important? that will aid us for our entire lives? that will remind us of God's goodness, faithfulness, and his awesome plans for us?

It's great to be young and to be able to memorize things easily.  I think I'm going to put my memory to good use while I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment