Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Single and free to make my own decisions

I feel blessed to be single at this point in my life. As I’m finishing my undergrad this month, and moving on to a new stage of life, there are so many decisions to make.  And, being single means there really are no limits to where I could go or what I could do.

At times I think I would like to have a special guy in my life.  At least if I was in a serious relationship, I think that my decisions wouldn’t be so hard.  I would choose to be wherever the guy was, and my options wouldn’t be so numerous.  (I get overwhelmed when there are too many options.  I would like someone to just make my decisions for me at this point.)
With these upcoming decisions and life changes, it would be nice to know that something is constant, something is stable.  (I'm thankful to God that he is the only stable thing right now, and that I'm forced to look to him for my sense of security.)
At the same time, with a relationship, my options would be somewhat limited.  If the guy wanted to move halfway across the world, would I stay here in Montreal?  If he was a homebody, and wanted to remain near his family, would I move to another province or country for a job opportunity? Not likely.

At this point, I have no relationship.  I am free to move, to travel, to work and to spend my money and my time however I would like to.

The single life is truly a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. We are alike in soo many ways!
    All the single ladies, all the single ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah, I agree... decisions are hard to make (if only it was just as easy as shaking up a magic 8 ball or just having someone to make them!)- but it teaches us alot about how to set our priorities and live them out.

    I think our society may sometimes put individualism on a pedestal, especially placing a strong emphasis on the power to make our own decisions. I love being single too, but sometimes I know that it stems from this fear of "losing my freedom" - so I can see in my life that I idolize my personal freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha so true. i'm still learning how to be in a relationship right now. i've come to realize that i'm VERY good at being single and independent. i'm so excited for what God's got in stored for you, linds :) keep me posted on your many options haha

    ReplyDelete