Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Foolish forgetfulness

Some days, somehow, I convince myself that God has forgotten about me.  In the back of my mind I'm asking, "Why are my friends getting into relationships, getting married and having kids, and I haven't even started on that path?"

I think that's a pretty foolish way of thinking.  How often do we convince ourselves that either God has forgotten to bring us a significant other, or else he doesn't care enough to do so? The other issue that may pop up is that we think he's not actually in control, and isn't able to bring that person into our lives.

Lately I've been reminded that God is powerful.  It seems simple and obvious, but it's a good reminder.  God is so powerful that he created the earth and heaven and everything in them. And, the creator of the entire universe is powerful enough to bring me a spouse.

Isaiah 45:18 says:

 18 For this is what the LORD says—
he who created the heavens,
   he is God;
he who fashioned and made the earth,
   he founded it;
he did not create it to be empty,
   but formed it to be inhabited—
he says:
“I am the LORD,
   and there is no other...

So, he has the ability, but does he care?
Scripture shows us countless examples of God's great love for his people.  I think we need to constantly remind ourselves that he loved us so much that he gave his life for us!  Jesus was tortured for us, while there was nothing in it for him (while we were still sinners); do we think he doesn't care enough about our desires?

Matthew 7:11 portrays God as a generous, loving father who wants to give his kids (us!) good gifts:
11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

He does care about what we want and need.
 
I love the following passage; it talks about God knowing us before we were born.  The whole Psalm is good, but here's a snippet.

Psalm 139

1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.


If he knows us that well, then he knows what is best for us.  He is perfect, his memory is perfect, and he doesn't forget what we need.  In fact, he knows what we need better than we do.
 
He loves us, and we need to trust that not only does he have the power to bring that special someone into our lives, but he cares.  He's waiting for us to trust him with the outcome, whether it's singleness or marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Wise words my sister.
    You probably have already seen this, but in case you haven't, check this out:
    http://theresurgence.com/2011/04/06/a-poem-for-all-single-people-pass-it-on

    ReplyDelete