Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Great music

There's a lot of great music out there. Personally, I love a song with acoustic guitars, good rhythm, and interesting lyrics (lyrics are key for me).

I listen to both mainstream "secular" and Christian artists, but I prefer to listen to Christian music.

Why?

Well, for one, the lyrics in songs by Christian artists are full of hope. I like listening to songs that make me say, "God's got this one. He's in control. My situation isn't as bad as I think it is. I might be sad, but God is helping me persevere through this trial."

I love music by Lifehouse. Sure, they are mainstream, but as far as I know, they are followers of Jesus. Their music often expresses sadness, loss, but in the midst of that they speak of God's power to heal.

This song, Broken, is a great one.
I'm falling apart,
I'm barely breathing.
With a broken heart,
That's still beating.
In the pain
There is healing
In your name,
I find meaning.



One secular artist that I listen to is "City and Colour", a brilliant song writer by the name of Dallas Green. (He's Canadian, which is awesome. Yay for supporting Canadian music!)


 His song "Hope for Now", despite its title, shows a real lack of hope.
But what it would take to live
As if I would not another day
To live without despair
And to be without desdain

How can I instill such hope
But be left with none of my own?
(http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/c/city_and_colour/hope_for_now.html)

His lyrics often speak of emptiness, loneliness, hopelessness, pain... and he remarks on the fact that nothing can fix his pain.

I love listening to music that I can identify with. I can identify with feeling lonely, lost, in pain, etc. But I don't want to dwell in that self-piteous place forever. I want to give my feelings to God, and know that there is hope no matter what my situation.

So although I love the music, the raw emotion, Dallas Green's voice, there's just something missing, and I think it's hope.

What kind of music do you like? Have you found any "secular" artists whose lyrics are hopeful?

4 comments:

  1. Check this song out that I stumbled upon yesterday. I think its secular. Its on waiting. What do you think?
    http://youtu.be/_bFylt67xGc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! Good rhythm, interesting lyrics. Yeah, sounds secular?
      Thanks for the recommendation, Tim!

      Delete
  2. E-Awesome!!! Killer blog and sharing your heart for God!!

    This song by neil young... is as secular as you can get, but It shows his heart for the homeless, single mothers, drug addicts, and the horrible state of our world.

    http://youtu.be/EQkHcW51rP8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BesideStillWaters!
      Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you've enjoyed reading!

      My mom used to listen to Neil Young, so I think I've heard that song before. It's encouraging to see people who care about the state of the world. Thanks for the link!

      Delete