Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Awkward date #2: Falling in love... or falling asleep?

This post is part of a series documenting some seriously awkward dates that I've been on.

Please note that I am not writing this series to mock the guys whom I have dated. These stories are bound to be funny, but I hope you’ll look with me at how God worked through these situations to grow me and teach me about relationships. My prayer is that these nuggets of wisdom wouldn’t go to waste. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was a really sweet guy: funny, super intelligent, respectful and kind. His family, who are awesome, generous, Christian people, lived down the street. I had played with this guy and his two older siblings as a kid. We didn't stay friends as we grew older, as we attended different schools.

Several years ago, we ran into each other in a restaurant, and he asked me out. We went for coffee and had a great time catching up. I remember laughing a lot. I was excited to hear that he'd kept his faith in Jesus. I think he was probably shocked that I was also a Christian, since I didn't grow up in a Christian home.

I really enjoyed our coffee together. A week later we went to a movie. I think it was Shrek 2, or Shrek 3. You see, I can't really remember because I fell asleep and missed the last half of the movie! I think he tried to nudge me awake a few times, but gave up. He teased me about it afterwards, which made me super embarrassed.

To give a bit of context:
I don't know why, but when I'm sitting still and I'm comfortable, I have a tendency to fall asleep. And really quickly too. I've fallen asleep in work meetings, during quiet conversations, in university classes, during extremely loud concerts (and quiet classical concerts, too), on buses, on trains, on a plane during taking off (I also slept through the landing of that one).

(In case you're worried about me, I've never fallen asleep standing up, or in a situation that would prove dangerous if that happened. And I sleep very well at night.)
Ok, enough about my random sleep issues...

So picture me, falling asleep on a date, in a movie theatre. It was awkward.

We didn't end up dating seriously because of other factors... at least I don't think that was the reason. :P Since then we've remained friends.

What I learned from this awkward date:
1/I need to learn to laugh at myself.

2/Quality godly guys are out there (particularly ones who will respect a girl's physical boundaries **see my post for awkward date #1!). Girls: We need to keep our standards high, no matter how desperate we feel!

3/I embarrassed myself, and the guy didn't run away. I could see that this guy liked me for who I was. :)

1 comment:

  1. ahaha I actually fell asleep in the movie theatre in Shrek 2!! Although it wasn't on a date, I have a similar tendency to fall asleep in warm, comfy places...

    Aside from that, it's cool that you were able to learn things from these "awkward dates"

    ReplyDelete